Skip to Content

Notice of Marriage Booking

Welcome to the Telford & Wrekin Registration Service through which you can book a Notice appointment at the Register Office in Wellington.

Before you can get married or form a civil partnership, ‘Notice’ must be given in person by each partner, in the district where they each live. The notice must be displayed for 28 - 70 clear days before the ceremony date.

If you live within the Telford & Wrekin Council area you will give Notice at the Wellington Register Office. If you live within a different Council district you must contact your local Register Office to arrange an appointment.

A Notice is only valid for 12 months so please do not book an appointment more than 1 year ahead of your planned ceremony date. We recommend that you book an appointment approximately 6 months before your ceremony date.

Full details regarding the Notice process and documentation required can be found on our website.

Terms & Conditions

Please ensure that you and your partner have both fully read, understood and agree to the below terms and conditions before proceeding with your booking:

  1. You are a Telford & Wrekin resident and will have lived in the district for 7 full days or more at the point of giving Notice. The day you arrive and the day you give Notice do not count for this purpose – therefore you must have lived at your address for 9 days or more
  2. You have a ceremony booking with the relevant registration office, minster or venue which is due to take place within the next 12 months
  3. You accept that your ceremony cannot go ahead until Notice has been given and an authority issued after the Notices have been displayed for 28 or 70 clear days (dependent on your circumstances)
  4. It is your responsibility to ensure your Notice appointment is booked in sufficient time ahead of your ceremony date - we recommend that you book an appointment approximately 6 months beforehand
  5. The statutory fee is charged per person, per Notice, which is charged independently of any ceremony costs. This must be paid by credit/debit card to secure your Notice appointment. Additional fees may apply if further checks need to be carried out, for example in relation to immigration status and/or overseas divorce. The statutory fee charged will depend on the Notices you need
  6. The Notice is venue-specific and only valid for 12 months from the Notice date – therefore if the date or venue of your ceremony changes by law you will have to give Notice again and another fee will apply
  7. If you attend your Notice appointment without the relevant documentation and/or we are unable to satisfy the legal Notice requirements you remain liable for any fees paid
  8. All Notice fees are non-refundable and non-transferable - PLEASE NOTE THAT IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE CORRECT DOCUMENTATION YOU WILL BE CHARGED AGAIN
  9. You are able to provide the required documentation and meet the residency requirements as follows:                                                                              
  • Confirmation of your ceremony date, time and location
  • Proof of your name, age and nationality, including; a valid passport, or UK birth certificate (if you were born before 01st January 1983). If you are British were born after 01st January 1983 and you do not have a valid passport, you will be required to bring your full birth certificate and your mother’s full birth certificate.
  • If you or your partner are not British or Irish, you will need to bring proof of your immigration status. This may be a via a valid Settled Status Share code (please generate this in advance), a valid Leave to Remain biometric card or a valid marriage visa. You may also both need to bring a passport photograph
  • Proof of your address - including a valid UK photo card driving licence, gas/water/electricity bill dated within 3 months, bank/building society statement dated within 1 month, Council Tax bill or mortgage statement dated within 12 months. Please note that we cannot accept other forms of proof of address
  • Proof of any name changes - for example a change of name deed
  • Proof that any previous marriages or civil partnerships have ended – for example decree absolute or death certificate. If a divorce or the death ending the previous marriage/civil partnership has taken place in a foreign country we will require the original documents (not copies) and a certified translation into English

10. Only original, hard copy and certified documents are accepted. We cannot accept photocopies, emails or screen prints/photographs of the official documentation required. All documents must be in English

If your ceremony date is within the next 6 weeks or you have any queries regarding the Notice procedure or document requirements, please call us on 01952 382444 or email before booking an appointment.


Data Security - Telford & Wrekin Council Registration Service is committed to ensuring your information is protected.  We only collect your data where we have a legal obligation; as a public task or with your express consent. Please read our Privacy Notice for full details.



© Zipporah Ltd.